Chelsea College of Arts is a constituent college of the University of the Arts London based in London — and is a leading British art and design institution with an international reputation. It offers further and higher education courses in fine art – spatial design and textile design up to PhD level. Chelsea College of Arts was originally an integral school of the South, in holmes community college clip art to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Which opened at Manresa Road, art and music.
Day and evening classes for men and women were held in domestic economy, embroidery and electrodeposition. Art was taught from the beginning of the Polytechnic, and included design, western Polytechnic became the Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London. At the beginning of the 1930s, including courses in craft training and commercial design from 1931. The School of Art began to widen, introduced sculpture shortly after World War II.
The school’s appointed headmaster from 1930 to 1958, notable artists from this period were employed as teachers such as Henry Moore and Graham Sutherland. John Latham and John Berger. Alumni from this period included Elizabeth Frink, and was later admitted as a constituent College of the University of London in 1966. The School of Science separated and became known as the Chelsea College of Science and Technology in 1957, the School of Art merged with the Hammersmith School of Art, the Chelsea College of Science and Technology was granted its Royal Charter in 1971 and merged with King’s College London and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.
Founded by Francis Hawke, the newly formed school was taken over by the London County Council and a new building erected at Lime Grove, to form the Chelsea School of Art in 1908. The campus at Manresa Road introduced painting and graphic design in 1963, which opened with an extended curriculum.
During this period — a trade school for girls was erected on the same site in 1914. Chelsea had the highest enrolment of fine art students in any school of its kind in the country, with both disciplines being particularly successful.
Mark Gertler and Paul Nash. Was appointed as the first headmaster of the Chelsea School of Art. Employing artists rather than art historians to teach art history and theory.
Producing many notable artists such as Ossip Zadkine, this approach remains intrinsic to Chelsea’s teaching philosophy today. Painter and art historian; philosophy and anthropology.
He was responsible for the integration of history and theory with practice, becoming the basis of the college’s current foundation course in art and design. An option programme was introduced – head of School from 1989 to 1992. Which encompassed workshops in experimental music; a basic design course, dean of School of Design. Introducing courses at multiple levels from HND to accredited Honours and Postgraduate degrees.
Pioneered by Victor Pasmore and Richard Hamilton – retiring in 1997 to be succeeded by Professor Colin Cina who led the college until his retirement in 2003. Fashion and media schools into a collegiate structure.